Grounds of Treaty Grounds and Museum. Walkways lead to Treaty House and Wakas (canoes).
Rose garden from inside Treaty House.
Back courtyard of The Treaty House.
Middle section is the original shiplap.
The Treaty house at Waitangi is the former house of James Busby. It is one of New Zealand's oldest surviving buildings.
The biggest, most pestigious waka were used to carry large number of warriors. This waka taua, Negatokimatawhaorua, a ceremonial war canoe is the largest in the world. It is used on Waitangi Day every year.
The tauihu or prow of the waka.
Inside of Negatokimatawhaorua, war canoe.
The taurapa or sternpost. The prow and sternpost were carved to express the spiritual connections between people and deities.
Waka ouside the shelter is uncarved. Uncarved wakas are for ordinary use such as transport and fishing.
Three giant kauri trees were felled to make the war canoe, Negatokimatawhaorua. A tree this size could have lived 800 years.
View from ferry on the way to Russell, NZ.
This Whaleboat design is in line with American whaleboats built in the late 1800s. As whaling declined, it was used as a utility ferry. In 1910 a motor was added and it became a school bus ferrying children to Opua School.
The carved pou depict points of illumination in the life of Tamati Waka Nene, a high ranking chief of people in Hokianga. These three represent his father, his mother and his birth into the Maori world.
The first internationally recongized flag of New Zealand. It is the Flag of the United Tribes.