View from the bus traveling south on the way to Nir Am Water Museum.
Roman ruins seen from the bus on the way south.
House in Sderot... brown portion on right is the required Safe Room addition. (from the bus)
Fortified bus stop in Sderot where they have 15 seconds to find shelter. (from bus)
The Museum of water and Security in the Negev on Kibbutz Nir Am. Built in 1947 it was a 1,000 gallon water tank used until 1988.
Some sort of underground shelter on Kibbutz Nir Am.
Looking into the Gaza Strip from N'san Yotzri Memorial and Nir Am Water Museum. Kibbutz reservoir mid left and Gaza Strip just beyond on right.
Our guide at Nir Am Water Museum holds up the remenant of an Israeli homing device.
The museum chronicles the settlement process in the Negev from the early 1930's to this day.
Nir Am was a decisive point in reinforcing settlement in the Negev by pumping and laying water pipe for Jewish settlements in the Negev.
Reservoir, which has a capacity of four million cubic meters, takes in treated sewage water from Tel Aviv and central Israel and stores it for agricultural use.
Nir Am Reservoir with Gaza behind it.
Back of the Museum. Kibbutz Nir Am enabled the establishment of additional settlements causing the UN committee to include the Negev within the Jewish state in the partition plan.
Fortified train station in Sderot. (from the bus)
From Holocaust to Revival Museum especially commemorates Jewish resistance against the Nazis as well as the 1948 Battle of Yad Mordechai.
The Battle of Yad Mordechai, fought by just 130 kibbutz members with only 55 light weapons, against the Egyptians during the War of Independence in 1948.
This Browning machine-gun was used by kibbutz fighters against the Egyptian Army attach from May 19-23, 1948.
This wall emphasizes the Jews of Warsaw, Poland, the Warsaw ghetto, the ghetto uprising and Mordechai Anilevitz.
Looking up toward the water tower destroyed by the Egyptians at Yad Mordechai.
Memorial to Mordechai Anielewicz next to the destroyed water tower at Kibbutz Yad Mordechai (named for Anielewicz).
Court yard of Sderot Community Center.
Sderot Community Center in Sderot where we had lunch.
Message on chalk board at Sderot Community Center.
The Black Arrow memorial stones. Site is named after a major paratrooper operation into Egyptian controlled Gaza in the 1950s.
The years between 1953 and 1956, when Paratroopers carried out 70 operations against terrorists between 1953 and 1956.
Each rock tells its own story of a daring operation.
Meeting in a bomb shelter with Alan Marcus who designed the Askelon emergency preparedness plan.
Mahana Yehuda at night.
Grafitti portraits can be seen on approach to the Shuk.
150 shutters in the market have been painted. There are over 200 left to be painted.
Berel Hahn, Project Co-Founder, says the idea is to inspire people to do.
Sheikh Farid al Jabari (left) and Hannah Szenes (right) .
Some portraits are faces of personalities in Jewish and Israeli history.
Once drab alleyways turn into a portrait gallery.
These are people who made the world a better place.
They are heroes and heroines from all walks of life... not just Jews.
The murals are not just art installations but are part of a cultural project to bring new life to the marketplace when the shops are closed.
The sound of the shofar could be heard in the Shuk as this young man tried out many before settling on this one.
Michael Moses sounding this Shofar.